Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 15, 2012

I need to remember why

This is serious work. Don’t think because I am smiling that I have no idea how quickly this situation can change. Twice this week I have entangled myself in tubes and wires to stand guard while a mother, still groggy from surgery, examines her tiny newborn for the first time. Twice this week I have advocated in my loud voice and have been uncharacteristically pushy to allow this moment to happen. I know you won’t be able to sleep really until you have smelled his sweet skin at least just once.
Once this week I have held someone’s hand while they made the decision to stop fighting.
I am smiling; I am congratulating, but I am also watching color changes and counting respirations.
I am here for you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

All my babies

baby growth baby babies baby